- This event has passed.
15th Annual Dia de los Muertos Festival
November 3, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Join us in celebrating Dia de los Muertos at TAM! Admission is free and all ages are welcome. Family-friendly activities, events, and performances are scheduled throughout the day, and the galleries are open.
This year’s activities include:
– The traditional tapete (sand painting) created by artist Fulgencio Lazo. Trained as a printmaker, Lazo works predominately with acrylics on canvas in his studios in Seattle, WA and Oaxaca, Mexico. He has had over 40 solo shows throughout the US, Mexico, Japan and France, and has numerous pieces in public collections. Watch Lazo and his team install TAM’s tapete on October 22.
– More than 25 community created ofrendas (altars) are on view from October 22 through November 3.
– Aztec Dance CeAtl Tonalli – Breathtaking traditional Aztec dancers
Trio Guadalevin performance – An acoustic exploration of the roots that bind the Americas with Southern Europe, the Maghreb, the Middle East and West Africa.
– Youth Ballet Folklorico taught by staff from Tacoma Arts Live
– Paper flower making and wooden skull decorating offered all day, while supplies last.
– Mexican food – Provided by TAM Café and local food trucks.
Presented in partnership with Proyecto MoLE and Centro Latino.