Giving that Creates Meaningful Impact
Donate Now: Lois Bernstein Fund for Health and Medicine Careers Pathways
The Lois Bernstein Fund for Health and Medicine Careers Pathways provides ongoing support for The Introduction to Health Care Careers program. This program, uniquely designed to prepare Tacoma Public Schools students for careers in health and medicine, was designed through a Health Care Collaborative led by MultiCare’s Lois Bernstein.
In 2015 Lois Bernstein Chief Community Executive, Multicare Health System spearheaded a partnership between Tacoma Public Schools and several local institutions aimed at designing a high school program that prepared students for careers in the health and medical fields. Leaders from Greater Tacoma Community Foundation, CHI Franciscan, University of Washington Tacoma, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma Community College, Bates Technical College, and Goodwill Industries worked together to develop a program that would achieve the following goals:
- Offer multiple career explorations in real experiential learning settings
- Partner Tacoma Public School teachers with post-secondary teachers and medical career professionals to refine and offer related curriculum and experiential learning, both in Tacoma Public Schools and in partner settings
- Provide accelerated access to credentials and post-secondary requirements for students opting to continue in the medical field
- Offer Advanced Placement classes in conjunction with core curriculum, taught with a medical careers lens
- Expand the health and medicine careers pathways to other Tacoma Public Schools’ high schools;
- All students graduate with their home school diploma
The program officially launched at Tacoma’s Stadium High School with its inaugural class of 77 freshmen in Fall of 2018.
In recognition of Bernstein’s vision and leadership, all the partner organizations voted unanimously to name the fund in her honor and agreed to make contributions to the fund and support the program with ongoing leadership.