Foundation Announces 35th Anniversary Coalition & Neighborhood Grants
Community Projects & Collaboration for Impact
About this Special One-Time Funding Opportunity
On Friday, September 9, 2016, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation celebrated 35 years of bringing passion to life in Pierce County with a special event that featured an interactive gallery walk featuring the Foundation’s history. The gallery included archives and stories demonstrating the powerful impact of GTCF donors and partnerships in Pierce County. Guests had the opportunity to explore a Funders Market to learn about field of interests. Thirty-five dollars from each ticket sold at the event was designated for a special one-time community grant opportunity to support those fields of interest. Below you will find a description and details related to this one-time grant funding opportunity as a result of this event.
The Coalition & Neighborhood Grants Program exists to:
- Encourage and support the work of local coalitions and neighborhood groups trying to preserve and/or improve the quality of life in Pierce County;
- Promote resident participation and leadership in groups and coalitions;
- Invest in and build on the existing strengths and assets of the established group; and
- Create a more connected community around a specific topic.
- Be a 501(c)(3) tax exempt, not-for-profit agency and/or an organized group carrying out a charitable purpose for the common good (e.g., neighborhood associations, neighborhood groups, coalitions);
- Have a minimum of three active leaders (e.g., President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc.);
- Have an established process to manage grant funds, including a current checking account in the name of the organization/group;
- Be operated and organized so that there is no discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran’s status, disability, or any other factor prohibited by applicable law;
- Be a group that is located in Pierce County, Washington;
- Have the capacity to complete the proposed project within a year; and
- Be current on all final reports for grants previously received from the Greater Tacoma Community Foundation.
What We Look For
Greater Tacoma Community Foundation looks for projects that:
- Encourage partnerships between residents, businesses, non-profits, and institutions;
- Are generated, led, and executed by residents of the neighborhood to the extent possible; and
- Build on the assets existing in the neighborhood, including using the skills of residents, involving youth, or working with another existing neighborhood group.
Groups must be working for community benefit in one of the following categories: Arts & Culture, Education, Environment, Human Services, Social Entrepreneurship, Youth, Women & Girls
What We Fund
This is a project-focused grant opportunity. Eligible groups are able to request up to $5,000 to fund a project that will support, strengthen, and promote the group’s mission. Projects may resemble, but are not restricted to:
- Topic-Specific Activities
- Mission-Focused Projects
- Community Engagement
- Community Outreach
- Community Organizing
- Resident-Focused Education
Each group that receives funding will be provided with an additional $500 grant to hold a community engagement activity/meeting. Groups can either invite other like coalitions to discuss possible resource sharing, strategic partnerships, and mission alignment or they may choose to invite community members who may be affected by the group’s work to share direction and gather input/feedback. This meeting must take place within the year of receiving funding.
The Coalition & Neighborhood Grants Program will begin accepting applications on September 9, 2016 and will close on Friday, January 13, 2017 at 4:00PM. The funds will be awarded in April 2017.
The Coalition & Neighborhood Grants Program is managed by Senior Program Officer, Kathryn Zetzer. She can be reached by phone at 253-345-4169, email at [email protected] or face-to-face at one of the drop-in office hour events listed below:
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Kimball Espresso Cafe
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
6950 Kimball Drive; Gig Harbor, WA 98335